The product “TraceMedia™ Columbia Sheep/Chocolate Bacitracin” is a pre-poured culture medium on 90mm Petri dishes used for the cultivation and isolation of bacterial pathogens from respiratory specimens.
- TraceMedia™ Columbia Sheep/Chocolate Bacitracin is a nutrient-rich dual-compartment culture medium containing Blood Agar (BA) and Chocolate Agar with Bacitracin (CAHI).
- BA: This medium is used for cultivation and differentiation of Streptococcus bacterial strains, distinguishing three types of hemolytic reactions (α, β, γ).
- CAHI: This selective medium is designed for the isolation of H. influenzae.
- BA Compartment: The Columbia Agar Base is supplemented with sheep blood, providing essential growth factors and enabling the determination of bacterial hemolytic reactions. On the surface of the blood agar plate, bacterial colonies with clear zones of hemolysis are classified as β-hemolytic. Colonies surrounded by a greenish zone indicate α-hemolysis. Gamma-hemolytic organisms do not produce any hemolytic reactions on the agar surface.
- CAHI Compartment: The horse blood in the chocolate agar provides essential factors X and V for the growth of H. influenzae, while the addition of Bacitracin inhibits the growth of Gram-positive bacteria.
INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS
- After incubation for the specified time, observe bacterial growth and characteristics on the surface of the culture medium.
- Further identification of isolated bacterial strains should be conducted using appropriate tests.